What’s on your travel bucket list?
No matter how many places are on your bucket list, this ranking will get you dreaming of places near and far.
According to a new survey, Bali is the top bucket list destination in the world.
According to a new survey, Bali is the top bucket list destination in the world. GETTY
What’s on your travel bucket list? If you’re like most people, the more you travel, the more places you add to your bucket list. So when the editors of the website Big 7 Travel announced the list of the world’s top 50 bucket list destinations, we stopped in our tracks and started checking off the boxes.
The website surveyed its 1.5 million-strong social audience in order to determine the best bucket list places around the world. According to Sarah Clayton-Lea, head of content with Big 7 Travel, this is the first time the site has assembled this list. “Bucket list travel was a trend that popped up again and again in previous surveys when asking our readers what sort of travel content they most enjoyed consuming,” says Clayton-Lea. “So, our curiosity got the better of us and we wanted to know which destinations people are dreaming of for 2019/2020.”
The results of the world’s top 10bucket list destinations include some of the most beautiful places on earth. “White sandy beaches are still a must-visit for many, with vibrant cities also making an appearance on a lot of people’s bucket lists,” says Clayton-Lea. Countries with naturally beautiful scenery and world-famous landmarks came out on top: 22% of the destinations on the list have white sandy beaches, while 52% are iconic cities.
We topped the list of the 10 most popular bucket list destination on earth, but there were also some unexpected picks. “The top 10 list has a lot of the expected dream destinations, but there are a few surprises on the list: Paro Valley in Bhutan, for example, or Virunga National Park in the Congo,” says Clayton-Lea. “I think this shows a great appetite for a need to get off the grid and can only assume that social media (and Netflix, in the case of Virunga!) is responsible for spreading the word of these amazing places.”
An interesting factoid uncovered in the study: Most people have an average bucket list of just 11 places, with the hope of visiting seven of those locations during their lifetime.
Overlooking the jungle on one of Bali’s highly Instagrammed swings. GETTY
1. Bali, Indonesia: “You’ll find beaches, volcanoes, Komodo dragons and jungles sheltering elephants, orangutans and tigers. Basically, it’s paradise. It’s likely you’ve seen an image of Bali on social media at least once in the past seven days, as it’s such a popular bucket list destination for 2019.”
2. New Orleans: “The lively city known for its street music, festive vibe and a melting pot of French, African and American cultures is well worth the trip. NOLA is a city packed with adventures at every turn and should be on everyone’s must-visit list.”
3. Kerry, Ireland:” All the way west in Ireland is one of the country’s most scenic counties. Kerry’s mountains, lakes and coasts are postcard-perfect, and that’s before you add in Killarney National Park. The unique small towns such as Dingle add to its charm.”
El Badi Palace in the Marrakesh medina. GETTY
4. Marrakesh, Morocco: “This ancient walled city is home to mosques, palaces and lush gardens. It’s known as The Red City thanks to the color of the brick walls surrounding the city. The medina is a UNESCO World Heritage Centre.”
5. Sydney: “Sydney is known around the world as one of the greatest and most iconic cities on the planet. Amazing things to do aren’t hard to find; the city has gorgeous beaches, great cafes and world-class entertainment on offer wherever you look.”
6. The Maldives: “This tropical nation in the Indian Ocean is made up of more than 1,000 coral islands. It’s home to some of the world’s most luxurious hotel resorts, with white sandy beaches, underwater villas and restaurants and bright blue waters.”
Paris, France. GETTY
7. Paris, France: “One of the most iconic cities in the world, Paris tops many people’s bucket lists. You’ll see so many famous landmarks here: the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame cathedral—the list is never-ending.”
8. Cape Town, South Africa: “Cape Town is a dream location to visit: endless natural beauty and clifftop views, pastel pink neighborhoods and turquoise waters.”
9. Dubai, U.A.E.: “The high-flying city of the U.A.E, Dubai is one of the most glamorous destinations you’ll ever visit, and is particularly popular with Big 7 Travel readers.”
Sunset In Bora Bora, French Polynesia. GETTY
10. Bora Bora, French Polynesia: “Bora Bora is Tahiti’s most famous island. How do overwater bungalows and underwater adventures sound to you? To us, it’s everything we could want from a bucket list destination.”